Tuesday, 7 May 2013

Invitations to Play

How many toys, puzzles and manipulatives do our kids own that they rarely play with? Often it's not that they don't like playing with them but they forget about them or just aren't too inspired. 

Setting up invitations to play works really really well in my house and has done for a long time. After the kids have gone to bed and/or during their rest time I'll often spending about 5 minutes setting up something on their play table or our big dining room table. 

Invitations to play? Sounds like hard work? Doesn't have to be!
My intention is to make it simple. Really simple ....
 




(Colour Cards from A little delightful)


I'll often undo the puzzles and leave them out like this. My kids always get inspired straight way to do puzzles when they see them set out like this ...

 
 If I want to make it more complicated like setting up a shop, vet or hospital I can but I don't want to do that every day!

Do you want to see more of my invitations to play? I often forget to photograph them so let me know if you want to see more and I'll make a conscience effort to take more photos. 

Thanks :)

12 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea, Kerina! I have never thought to do this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TOTALLY love the popstick idea with d/s tape on the ends - genious! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Molly loves making shapes with the popsticks. She's so proud of herself when she makes them.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Kerina - great ideas. I've never really got my act together with setting up my kids to play something specific and I think it would do a lot for them (and me!). Please post more photos whenever you have new ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nina I will share some more soon. Hope it helps :)

      Delete
  5. I haven't but I'm going to try to after reading this post..... Where did you get the puzzles in the second picture ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Khris I bought the puzzles as a set from Amazon. They are Melissa and Doug Beginner Pattern blocks. I need to get the harder ones for Molly now as she finds these to easy.

      Delete
  6. This is a great idea I always like to make things irresistible for the children it's great to see their faces when they find something that you have set up.
    Shell
    http://spectacularkidsminiplayscapes.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...