Wednesday, 29 May 2013

Friday's Learning Experiences for Kids #1

Each Friday mornings I run a little 0-4 year old program at the local school. Parents come along with their children for a couple of hours in the morning and participate in activities a little like a supported play group. I have to say it's a lot of fun. I thought I would share with you a sample of the activities we did in our very first session. 
 
The first week I ran the program was right before Mother's day so I choose a necklace making activity. Threading allows children to practise their fine motor shills and hand/eye coordination while enhancing language and cognitive development. My girls made me one each and they are still hanging up in my study.


At another table there was a colour sorting activity. A provided a variety of options for the kids to sort things how they wanted to. I also provided the children with tongs and scooping implements to again further their fine motor skills and hand/eye coordination. Sorting helps children understand things are alike and different which helps them develop maths skills, learn numbers and letters.The fabulous colour cards are a free printable from a little delightful here.
 

Play dough is such a great activity for kids. It helps build their finger and hand strentgth while extending their creativity and imagination. Since it was Mother's day coming up I provided some flower props for them. The kids created their own flowers with flower beds and could take them home if they wished.


 At home time I gave each of the children a welcome gift of play dough and 
a cookie cutter for them to take home.


I have to admit it's been a while since I was teaching little kids and I'm still finding my feet again but I sure have missed it. This program has only been running for three sessions now but it's made me remember why I fell in love with teaching in the first place.


4 comments:

  1. What cute ideas Kerina. Good on you for setting this up. Once a teacher, always a teacher. I am the same. Love your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas Kerina. Love the colour sorting table idea! One to try at home with the beads we have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these ideas - so cute! I run my local playgroup and will definitely be 'stealing' some of theses for morning craft. Thanks xx #TUSK

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post. I could see my twins loving the flowers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...